Over the course of this semester, we have learned and practiced how to properly interview subjects, collect audio, take photos and hone our skills for online multimedia production. For this final project, it was our duty to combine all of our newfound knowledge to create an all-encompassing video. What better way to end this course than with video storytelling to sew it all together?
Annie and I partnered up once more (from the audio interview) because we worked so well together last time. Annie is a part of the women’s UW rugby team and she told me about their Rookie Rugby camp. I thought it was a great opportunity to shoot a promotional video story. The college rugby players help with the camp and assist in coaching.
Wyoming Rugby hosted their very first non-contact Rookie Rugby camp this November/December. You can browse their Facebook page here.
I had no previous video shooting or video editing experience, so I wasn’t sure how I was going to do with this project. I didn’t know what to expect and I figured we would have to try more than once to get the footage we were looking for.
I really enjoyed shooting this video. We used a small digital video camera to get a better quality than we would with our iPhones. For it being the first Rookie Rugby, the atmosphere at the camp was fun and informative. I had a great time watching the kids learn about rugby and their excitement to play. It quickly became obvious that teamwork is important to the coaches and players. I enjoyed getting in the action to record interesting footage.
There were quite a few technical difficulties when it came time to edit. Once we got everything running and understood the basics of Adobe Premiere, the video editing process came easy to us . After our stress passed over the technical issues, we were able to have a good time creating our video.
There wasn’t a lot that I didn’t enjoy about this assignment because it was a necessary learning process for us. I learned a lot about how to combine my skills and how to do basic editing with video, which turned out to have similarities with audio.
However, I can say I didn’t enjoy our encounter with technical difficulties. First, Adobe wasn’t cooperating and then we had problems figuring out how to transfer the video from our camera to the computer. It took about two hours to save our content. I learned that when dealing with so many different planes of technology, I have to plan extra time for unexpected events (in the case of computer crashes, long exporting or loss of content).
I was surprised that the kids didn’t mind being recorded. Some of them really liked it and opted for screen time. I was also surprised that the project overall wasn’t as difficult as it looked at first. We did record our footage on the last day of the camp and for this reason I wish we decided on our topic sooner. The camp was held three Saturdays before we shot our video. We could’ve had a better variety for the final outcome if we were able to go to the other camp days. Annie also mentioned that there were a lot more kids in attendance the previous week.
Of all the skills I learned in this course, I think I am least likely to use video in my career. I am not opposed to it and I am happy with how our video turned out, but I think it would take a lot more practice to use it in my career. Shooting and editing video is the most difficult since it combines several aspects of journalism. It is something that takes time to become good at. Hopefully I can learn more about video and will be up to the challenge in my future career.
P.S. I am sad that (due to the technical difficulties) other students in this class next year might not be able to do this final project. I think it was an awesome way to tie up the semester and is a great test to our skills/knowledge.